Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What's left to eat?

Recently, I watched an eye-opening documentary, intitled Food Inc. Although it wasn't the first I've watched concerning food and health issues, it was surely the one with the strongest effect. It even made one of my friends tell me, after he had watched it, that he doesn't know anymore what to eat...Well, i've gotta say that what this documentary reveals is terrifying, at least. First of all, have you ever wondered how pigs are killed in mass production? Well, I would have never guessed (although I knew that they had to be killed somehow) that they are squashed! This is what horrified me the most. Another aspect is that of cattle which never see the smallest patch of grass..They only eat corn...And they're also killed by the thousands daily..No mercy whatsoever. I should mention about chickens that are fed contiunously and end up suffocating under their own weight.Vegetables which are fully gennetically modified...And the list goes on.
Just like everybody else, I try to live a healthy life...But it's quite difficult, when almost everything is in someway modified, rich in chemicals, preservatives and other harmful stuff..So, what should I eat? Should I turn to the BIO department? Hmm, it's not quite that easy, when you take into consideration the costs of these products. So, the cost of health is rising. Of course, versus the cost of a bad diet...And if I take into account the saying "My body is my temple", well, then, I surely don't want my temple to be full of shit!
I like to go now and then through the market place, and check out what the local farmers have to offer. For example, I buy honey from an old man, with who I like to engage in short discussions in regard with the current situation of honey in Romania and abroad. I've gotta tell you that it's not happy whatsoever. Throughout the world, bees are suffering because of the proliferation of singular crops, which occupy land which was earlier home to various species of flowers. This harms the bees because they need to feed of more types of flowers to produce antybodies. Due to the lack of these antybodies, bees die. I consider the "poliflora" honey to be the best. And, if you take into consoideration the ammount of vitamins it contains, it's surely on top! But how will I be able to buy my favourite honey in, let's say, 10 years from now, if bees will go extinct? Another aspect is that of "counterfeit" honey...Yes, honey too can be counterfieted. I don't know exactly how, I just know that many jars of honey found in supermarkets are not genuine...Especially chinese ones...So, I suggest you buy your honey from the local market place farmer, thus encouraging the local agriculture (apiculture).
I recently read in an article that one of the most notorious fast-food company uses, in it's fish hamburger, a species of fish found in low depths, which is considered to be in danger of extinction...So, besides the fact that I don't want to eat artificial products, I surely don't want to cause the extinction of any animal!
Should I become a vegetarian? Well, since soy beans seeme to take over the world (Check the labels of most of the food found in stores, surely most of them contain some "traces" of soy), and, besides the fact that soy is harmful for the male body, it's also almost entirely genetically modified. Should I eat vegetables? Most of them are also modified. Should I go out and hunt my own food and catch my own fish? Chances are they contain all sorts of chemicals, due to what "friendly" multinationals throw in the oceans...Well, there's a lot more to be said on this subject, but I'll leave it for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment